Thursday, December 29, 2011

Where do I get my ideas?

I'm blogging at The Romance Dish today, about where my ideas come from, and specifically, what sparked my new book, Bride By Mistake.
Where do you get your ideas?
It's a question often asked of authors, and most writers hate it. Not me.  I get ideas for stories all the time - there's no shortage. They come from all kinds of places — a snippet of overheard conversation, an image, a scene in movie or a book where I think, "No, it wouldn't have happened like that," and an idea is sparked.
(This image is from http://parchmentplace.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/dreaming-about-books.jpg )
But most often stories come to me just as I'm drifting off to sleep, or just as I'm waking in the morning. A scene starts rolling in my head like a movie and depending on my state at the time, I'll either scribble it down into the exercise book I keep beside my bed, or stagger out to the computer and type it up. If it's a scene from my current novel, I'll head for the computer, but if comes out of the blue, I usually use the notebook.

I always write it down, because if I let myself drift off to sleep, I know I'll forget it. I've learned that the hard way, waking in the morning, remembering that I'd thought of a really good scene, but with no memory of what it was, except that it was The Best Idea Evah!  ...          
 Read the rest of this blog here, and leave a comment to be in the draw for a copy of BRIDE BY MISTAKE.

2 comments:

  1. I have to keep a notebook by the bed as well because some of my best ideas come during the middle of the night. I wake from a dream and know if I don't write it down, I'll never remember it. Then, I'm kicking myself in the morning.

    I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true, Theo. I have even woken once with a pen pressed to my cheek. Luckily it didn't leak. LOL.

    ReplyDelete